Sunday, December 30, 2012

Matt Holt's GOTY


Matt Holt is Senior Tech/Games Editor of TheTechFixation.com

Here are my top 3 games of 2012, and I don't think there's any coincidence that they were all released at the back end of the year.  As we get to the end of the current console cycle, developers are squeezing every last bit of performance from the machines and continuing to deliver satisfying, involving stories and gameplay.  Narrowing this list to 3 has been tough, there are some excellent games around, but these are the ones that stood out for me because they didn't come out of my machine until the next one on the list arrived.





3. Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Slightly disappointed with NFS: Hot Pursuit (the last Criterion Games NFS), I was very cautious on getting this, but picked it up when someone mentioned it should have been called Burnout Paradise 2.  They weren't wrong.  It's still a NFS game where you're street racing and avoiding cops, but the exploration and freedom is clearly there from the last Burnout game, and whilst there is a phenomenal amount to do, it never has you feeling lost in the city.  The only complaint I have is that being a long time Burnout and Gran Turismo fan I like to use the analogue sticks for accelerate and brake, default in this game is the R2/L2 combination.  Full control customisation is possible but switching to the sticks prevents you from starting races because accelerate and brake need to be pressed together, bit of an oversight on the developers part.  However, it speaks volumes that I adapted to the control scheme to keep speeding through streets, countryside, beaches and even power stations in this very well executed racing game.

2. Hitman: Absolution

Definitely my most anticipated game of 2012, I pre-ordered 6 months before it was due out, hammered the Sniper Challenge to unlock everything before release (even scored in the top 12 one week and won a prize), and loved every minute of it even though it isn't a true Hitman game.  This game should take the prize for best looking of the year, and can't be topped on the considered and intricate level design.  It also needs a special mention that the single player actually worked out of the box and didn't need a day one patch like the majority of major titles this year.  Contracts mode is a great addition and I'm looking forward to going back to this once I've finished the last game on my list.

1. Far Cry 3

I liked Far Cry 2 so was eager to see what this would be like, not expecting it to be as compelling as it is.  The game is flawed, it's not the best looking, and there are random glitches and crashes (all less than a Bethesda release I need to add), but I just can't stop playing.  I love the freeform approach to combat, the detail of the island, the pacing of the story, and the characterisation.  Very few games get these aspects to work together, and it's taken Ubisoft 3 attempts, but it is phenomenal what they've achieved.  I should have platinum'd this game by the time you're reading this and that makes me sad.  I don't want this game to end, I'm enjoying it too much, and I can't think of a better reason to make it my game of the year.

And lastly, honorable mentions for this years games that didn't make the cut but were hugely enjoyable - Dishonored, Journey, Walking Dead, LBP2 cross-controller DLC & LBP Vita, Borderlands 2, F1 2012, Plague Inc., and Motorstorm RC.

0 comments:

Post a Comment